Huge, armored beasts sand krakens are the distant cousins to their water bound kin. They are found in the deserts of Krusad and other places with a large arid climate and lose, sandy soil to support them.
Gargantuan monstrosity (titan), chaotic evil
Armor Class 20 (natural armor)
Hit Points 472 (27d20 + 189)
Speed 20ft., burrow 20ft.
STR 30 (+10) DEX 10 (+0) CON 25 (+7) INT 22 (+6) WIS 18 (+4) CHA 20 (+5)
Saving Throws Str +18, Dex +8, Con +15, lnt +14, Wis + 12
Damage Immunities fire; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities frightened, paralyzed
Senses truesight 120ft., passive Perception 14
Languages understands Abyssal, Celestial, Infernal, and Primordial but can't speak, telepathy 120ft.
Challenge 23 (50,000 XP)
Freedom of Movement. The sand kraken ignores difficult terrain, and magical effects can't reduce its speed or cause it to be restrained. It can spend 5 feet of movement to escape from nonmagical restraints or being grappled.
Siege Monster. The sand kraken deals double damage to objects and structures.
Multiattack. The sand kraken makes three tentacle attacks, each of which it can replace with one use of Fling.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +18 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 23 (3d8 + 10) piercing damage. If the target is a Large or smaller creature grappled by the sand kraken, that creature is swallowed, and the grapple ends. While swallowed, the creature is blinded and restrained, it has total cover against attacks and other effects outside the sand kraken, and it takes 42 (12d6) acid damage at the start of each of the sand kraken's turns.
If the sand kraken takes 50 damage or more on a single turn from a creature inside it, the sand kraken must succeed on a DC 25 Constitution saving throw at the end of that turn or regurgitate all swallowed creatures, which fall prone in a space within 10 feet of the sand kraken. If the sand kraken dies, a swallowed creature is no longer restrained by it and can escape from the corpse using 15 feet of movement, exiting prone.
Tentacle. Melee Weapon Attack: +18 to hit, reach 30ft., one target. Hit: 20 (3d6 + 10) bludgeoning damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 18). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained. The sand kraken has ten tentacles, each of which can grapple one target.
Fling. One Large or smaller object held or creature grappled by the sand kraken is thrown up to 60 feet in a random direction and knocked prone. If a thrown target strikes a solid surface, the target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it was thrown. If the target is thrown at another creature, that creature must succeed on a DC 18 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage and be knocked prone.
Rain of Fire. The sand kraken magically creates around itself a rain of fire that effects all targets in 60-feet of it. Every target must make a DC 23 Dexterity saving throw, taking 11 (2d10) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Unattended, flammable materials catch on fire.
The sand kraken can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. The sand kraken regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
Tentacle Attack or Fling. The sand kraken makes one tentacle attack or uses its Fling.
Rain of Fire (Costs 2 Actions). The sand kraken uses Rain of Fire.
Sand Storm (Costs 3 Actions). The sand kraken rouses the sand into a storm that covers a 60-foot radius that spreads around corners, and that area is heavily obscured to creatures other that the sank kraken. Each creature other than the sand kraken that ends its turn there must succeed on a DC 23 Constitution saving throw, taking 16 (3d10) bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one as the sand scours the flesh from bone. The sand storm lasts until the sand kraken's next turn.
A KRAKEN'S LAIR
A sand kraken lives in deep, dark caves in the desert.
LAIR ACTIONS On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), the sand kraken takes a lair action to cause one of the following magical effects:
- A strong air current moves through the sand kraken's lair. Each creature within 60 feet of the kraken must succeed on a DC 23 Strength saving throw or be pushed up to 60 feet away from the sand kraken. On a success, the creature is pushed 10 feet away from the sand kraken.
- Creatures within 60 feet of the kraken have vulnerability to fire damage until initiative count 20 on the next round.
- The air in the sand kraken's lair becomes super-heated charged. All creatures within 120 feet of the sand kraken must succeed on a DC 23 Constitution saving throw, taking 10 (3d6) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
The region containing a kraken's lair is warped by the creature's blasphemous presence, creating the following magical effects:
- The kraken can alter the weather at will in a 6-mile radius centered on its lair. The effect is identical to the control weather spell.
- Air elementals coalesce within 6 miles of the lair. These elementals can't leave the 6 mile radius and have Intelligence and Charisma scores of 1 (- 5).
- Desert creatures within 6 miles of the lair that have an Intelligence score of 2 or lower are charmed by the sand kraken and aggressive toward intruders in the area.
When the kraken dies, all of these regional effects fade immediately.