The Demon of Krusad
The Demon of Krusad is one of the many dangers that face the nation. He is trying to collect all he needs in order to free the primordials trapped in the elemental chaos. He has failed many times in the past, but even time is not meaningless to this titan. He has grown truly ancient and somewhat frail in his advanced years. His armored carapace is scarred but still none can penetrate his hide. He has also grown a bit mad in all of his failed attempts, often lashing out at people and things for no apparent reason. The thing is, he has slowly been corrupted by Nihal of the Red Worms, an aberration of the Far Realms. What Nihal has been doing is slowly corrupting the ritual so that instead of the waking the primordials, the Demon of Krusad has been opening a portal to the Far Realms to let Nihal and its ilk in.
The Demon makes use of Ill'vae'naas, the Lamia Queen to secure him sacrifices and components for his rituals.
Sand Kraken, Gargantuan monstrosity (titan), chaotic evil
Armor Class 22 (natural armor)
Hit Points 475 (30d20 + 150)
STR 30 (+10) DEX 10 (+0) CON 20 (+5) INT 24 (+7) WIS 18 (+4) CHA 20 (+5)
Skills Arcana +14
Saving Throws Str +18, Dex +8, Con +13, lnt +15, Wis + 12
Damage Immunities fire; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities frightened, paralyzed
Senses truesight 120ft., passive Perception 14
Languages understands Abyssal, Celestial, Infernal, and Primordial but can't speak, telepathy 120ft.
Challenge 24 (62,000 XP)
Freedom of Movement. The Demon of Krusad ignores difficult terrain, and magical effects can't reduce its speed or cause it to be restrained. It can spend 5 feet of movement to escape from nonmagical restraints or being grappled.
Siege Monster. The Demon of Krusad deals double damage to objects and structures.
Multiattack. The Demon of Krusad makes three tentacle attacks, each of which it can replace with one use of Fling.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +18 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 27 (3d10 + 1 0) piercing damage. If the target is a Large or smaller creature grappled by the Demon of Krusad, that creature is swallowed, and the grapple ends. While swallowed, the creature is blinded and restrained, it has total cover against attacks and other effects outside the Demon of Krusad, and it takes 42 (12d6) acid damage at the start of each of the Demon of Krusad's turns.
If the Demon of Krusad takes 50 damage or more on a single turn from a creature inside it, the Demon of Krusad must succeed on a DC 25 Constitution saving throw at the end of that turn or regurgitate all swallowed creatures, which fall prone in a space within 10 feet of the Demon of Krusad. If the Demon of Krusad dies, a swallowed creature is no longer restrained by it and can escape from the corpse using 15 feet of movement, exiting prone.
Tentacle. Melee Weapon Attack: +18 to hit, reach 30ft., one target. Hit: 23 (3d8 + 10) bludgeoning damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 18). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained. The Demon of Krusad has ten tentacles, each of which can grapple one target.
Fling. One Large or smaller object held or creature grappled by the Demon of Krusad is thrown up to 60 feet in a random direction and knocked prone. If a thrown target strikes a solid surface, the target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it was thrown. If the target is thrown at another creature, that creature must succeed on a DC 18 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage and be knocked prone.
Rain of Fire. The Demon of Krusad magically creates around itself a rain of fire that effects all targets in 60-feet of it. Every target must make a DC 23 Dexterity saving throw, taking 17 (3d10) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Unattended, flammable materials catch on fire.
The Demon of Krusad can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. The Demon of Krusad regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
Tentacle Attack or Fling. The Demon of Krusad makes one tentacle attack or uses its Fling.
Rain of Fire (Costs 2 Actions). The Demon of Krusad uses Rain of Fire.
Sand Storm (Costs 3 Actions). The Demon of Krusad rouses the sand into a storm that covers a 60-foot radius that spreads around corners, and that area is heavily obscured to creatures other that the Demon of Krusad. Each creature other than the Demon of Krusad that ends its turn there must succeed on a DC 23 Constitution saving throw, taking 16 (3d10) bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one as the sand scours the flesh from bone. The sand storm lasts until the Demon of Krusad's next turn.
A KRAKEN'S LAIR
A Demon of Krusad lives in deep, dark caves in the desert.
LAIR ACTIONS On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), the kraken takes a lair action to cause one of the following magical effects:
- A strong air current moves through the Demon of Krusad's lair. Each creature within 60 feet of the kraken must succeed on a DC 23 Strength saving throw or be pushed up to 60 feet away from the Demon of Krusad. On a success, the creature is pushed 10 feet away from the Demon of Krusad.
- Creatures within 60 feet of the kraken have vulnerability to fire damage until initiative count 20 on the next round.
- The air in the Demon of Krusad's lair becomes super-heated charged. All creatures within 120 feet of the Demon of Krusad must succeed on a DC 23 Constitution saving throw, taking 13 (3d8) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
- Small, red worms about a foot long, eat their way through the stone and sand that make up the Demon of Krusad's lair. In a 30-foot cube at any point that the kraken can see 120-feet away, those in the cube must make a DC 24 Dexterity saving throw or become mired in the red worm muck and unable to move until the Demon's next turn. The worms then dissolve into a disgusting slime. A gift from Nihal.
The region containing a kraken's lair is warped by the creature's blasphemous presence, creating the following magical effects:
- The kraken can alter the weather at will in an 18-mile radius centered on its lair. The effect is identical to the control weather spell.
- Strange vegetation can been seen growing within 18-miles. The vegetation is harmful to those of this plane of existence and a DC 24 saving throw in required if eaten or the eaters become poisoned for a day.
- Because of the effects of Nihal, red worms have been seen in the area. Treat the red worms as purple worms, but only red. Currently there are only seven of the red worms that ply along his territory of 18-miles.
- Desert creatures within 18 miles of the lair that have an Intelligence score of 2 or lower are charmed by the Demon of Krusad and aggressive toward intruders in the area.
When the kraken dies, all of these regional effects fade immediately.